Monday, October 10, 2011

Lessons Learned

   Last night I had an incredible experience. I went with my friend Kaitlin and a couple guys to a living facility for people with mental and physical disabilities. Another friend of mine, Jess, suggested that we go because her friend goes every week and invited new people along. When we first arrived, I was a little nervous because I wasn't sure what to do. We walked in and were greeted with big hugs and kisses. Everyone loves her friend  and they all ran up to them to say hello. As I watched her friend hug them, rub their backs, pay attention to them, and talk to them, I couldn't help but smile. Other BYU students also came and were greeted the same. I watched as they taught them how to play cards, how to play the piano, how to dunk, and listened to stories. I couldn't help but think that I was seeing a little piece of what the pure love of Christ looks like.  That night I got the best hugs, the biggest  and sincerest smiles, and I learned what love is. We stayed and I listened to stories, talked about Halloween costumes, put together puzzles, and played with them. I feel like I learned so much from them and they have so much to offer that I think is often overlooked. I hope to go again and learn more from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment